This church situated in Bochum-Stiepel, a suburb with mainly village-like characteristics, is located in an idyllic setting surrounded by its historic church yard full of old trees. 1000 years ago, Imma, the wife of Count Luitger from the Billunger family and a sister of Bishop Meinwerk from Paderborn, had a church built for her use on her private property in Stiepel. This first single-nave church was replaced by a basilica of Romanesque style during the 12th century. Later in the 15th century it was extended to the hall church of today. Its multiform and colorful paintings of the interior provide this cultural monument in the Ruhr Valley with a special importance that extends beyond the German borders. Since the Reformation Era, the village church of Stiepel has been a protestant church presenting itself today also as a cultural center for Bochum and the region.
The main emphasis of the parish activity is determined by this 1000 years old cultural monument. Large numbers of regular services are conducted in accordance with protestant traditions for sermons, joint singing and music. Special presentations include worship services with cantata, chamber music events and organ concerts. The village church is an especially favored place for weddings, baptism, and also services for private events. Many visitors from all over Germany and abroad are expertly guided through the church year by year.